Goals for Today

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

1. Hit the gym. I was going to take the day off after going 5 days in a row, but figured 30mins on the treadmill or stairmaster won't kill me. maybe... ::winces::


1a. On the way home from gym pick up new Jennifer Ashley book (follow up to The Madness of Ian Mackenzie. squeee!)

2. Write, write, write. I would love to finish chapter one on the new wip today. Had a tiny crisis of faith, so to speak about the wip yesterday. I checked some Coming Soon lists at a couple of publishers and Holy Paranormal Plethoras(!) Straight contemporaries, westerns or historials were slim pickings. My wip is mostly contemporary with a slight para/scifi element but it's there and intrinsic to the story.

I just wonder at the appetite for paranormal the general readership has and if it will continue or will people tired of it if there's not enough variety offered. And will they tired of it by the time the wip is finished? (lol. cause this is really all about me.)

A quick book rec: Tanya Huff's The Enchanted Emporium.



Blurb:

The Gale family can change the world with the charms they cast, and they like to keep this in the family. Alysha Gale is tired of having all her aunts try to run her life, both personally and magically. So when the letter from her Gran arrives willing her a "junk" shop in Calgary, Alysha jumps at the chance. It isn't until she gets there that she realizes her customers are fey. And no one told her there's trouble brewing in Calgary-trouble so big that even calling in the family may not save the day...


I stayed up till after 1am reading this book last night. I'm approximately half way through and don't anticipate it's going to fall apart on me in the last half. Very enjoyable, fun,fast read. Love the characters and the 'Aunties' and its a very interesting take on the world of witches, sorcerors and the Fey.

One caution there's some cousinly lovin' going on in the book. It's more implied than detailed--the Gale family likes to keep 'the power' all in the family so to speak--so if you're squeamish about that. Not the book for you.

Also I did find certain elements at the begining a bit confusing. I'm pretty sure this is book one (a stand alone?) but parts of it read as if it was a later book in a series and there was an asumption that readers were familiar with certain things/characters.

Still, dude, I stayed up way past my bedtime to read! I've had more DNFs or Meh reads than I care to remember so this one is a winner on that score.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

2008 Vanessa Jaye | All Rights Reserved | Design by Katrina Glover | Back to top

You are visitor number:

web stats