Lowered Expectations

Saturday, June 19, 2010

I recently put myself on the hold list at the library for a eagerly awaited release (it came out in hardback and as much as I wanted to read it, no way was I paying the HB price).

Saved myself $30.

About 1/3 of the way through I started skimming. The bad guys just had too many options/contacts at their disposal. The good guys were forever on the run/escaping. It was like watching Pepe LePew in pursuit of that hapless ‘painted’ cat. (Not incidentally, my least favourite of the Loony Toons pantheon.) Just got tiresome/boring. I skimmed through the end of the book and thanked my lucky stars that I hadn’t actually read the whole book only to find out that the romantic set-up subplot fizzles out to ‘a handshake’ and a ‘I’ll call you sometime.’

o.O
wtf?

Once I put that book aside, I started in on another library book, Lynne Graham’s The Ruthless Magnate’s Virgin Mistress. That book was pure cracktastic fun to read. It’s the 3rd or 4th book I’ve read by LG, and I’ve been entertained by them all to varying degrees. I’m now reading a book my ginormous tbr pile: The Cater Street Hangman, first in the Inspector Thomas Pitt series by Anne Perry. Again, really enjoying it and definitely will read more in the series.

Figure I hit the jackpot with these two last books. My reading has been more like the first library book experience for the last year or so. Just one DNF (did-not-finish) book after another.

There was a time when one of the aims of reading—aside from the basic enjoyment factor—was the hope I’d find a real keeper book. A story I just loved to pieces and memorable characters that would stay with me for years to come, never mind an author to follow/glom.

Now I just want to be engaged enough to give a sufficient damn to finish the book in the first place. Not as easily achievable as one would hope for.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

2008 Vanessa Jaye | All Rights Reserved | Design by Katrina Glover | Back to top

You are visitor number:

web stats