Today's To-do

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Going to hit the gym in a bit (first time in months....) Then I'll bichok and do some serious writing today.

That damn werewolf paranormal is still tugging at my sense of guilt. I really want to finish those revisions and resubmit, but everytime I touch it, it's like banging my head against a brickwall. It's so hard to flesh out character in a fairly tightly paced plot-driven short-story. I know it can be done, but it's sooo frustrating. Normally I do character-driven stories and the plot derives from that. I find it much easier to flesh out plot once the characters are established, rather than vice-versa.

In other news... I've been playing around with some characters in my head for a new contemporary story. Think I'll take the Quickpad to the gym with me and work on the new story during the commute. Then work on the novella when I get home later.

On the reading front, I blew through Julia Quinn's latest What Happens In London. It was a frothy farcical story with likable characters. I love that it felt like a ROMANCE--not in a melodramtic way, just that you felt the two leads truly liked and loved each other in the end. There was an element of that big 'swept away' feeling to their romance, even while retaining that down to earth recognition of each other's foibles and their own. There was only one 'warm' lovescene in the last quarter of the story, but I didn't mind that because I was lovin' the H/h's interactions/banter. Nice read, but in the end the overall feeling I was left with was it was a little too light; I enjoyed it very much (finished the darn thing in a day), but it won't be a keeper because I don't see myself re-reading it.


Happy July 4th to my American friends!!

**edited for (some) typos.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

2008 Vanessa Jaye | All Rights Reserved | Design by Katrina Glover | Back to top

You are visitor number:

web stats