I should know better.

Monday, September 03, 2007

I read this post over on HelenKay Dimon's blog, which reminded me of a recent read. J.A. Konrath's Rusty Nail.



I've been meaning to read one of his books, in the way you often mean to try out a book from an author whose blog you (semi) regularly check out.

Well.

You guys really need to check out Konrath. He's wicked good. Fantastic pacing, interesting, engaging characters, and plotting that's twisty without feeling like it's filler or he's gone off track. Yeah, the romance lover in me would like a smidgen more of what is essentially non-existent (Jack's ex is somewhat neutered imho), but I'll live.

And speaking of Det. Jaqueline (Jack) Daniels, she's a hoot. You gotta love this chick. She's got a great/dry sense of off-the-cuff humor and a skewed way of viewing the world the brings a smile to your face and keeps you chuckling. A good thing too, because Mr. Konrath's villians are off da charts. I don't mean 'cartoon', I mean 'where-the-feck-did-he-come-up-with-this'? good. I mean stopping every now and again because I was really (REALLY) feeling uncomfortable and squeamish and wondering 'what kind of fecking SICKO writes this shit?' good. Seriously. If I didn't know better, that it all comes from a writer's imagination, I'd be really, really concern for Mr. Konrath, his family and neighbours.

I'd also be concerned for myself, cause I prettymuch went out and got his backlist. *g* He's not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking for a good read, I highly recommend him.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments:

Sasha White said...

I've picked up those books a couple times but have yet to actually buy one. Well, until 5 minutes ago..lol After reading your comments I had to order them. Good old online purchasing. Right to my door! *grin*

Thanks for the review.

Unknown said...

Hey, just wanted to say that I got Whisky Sour, I think is the first one, in ebook. Sounds good and thanks for the tip. --Keishon

vanessa jaye said...

Argghhh!! Blogger keeps eating my posts, before I even post them!

Short form: I think you'll both really like Konrath's voice, he's got unique and seamless blend of humor (not slapstick) and violence. I'll be interested to see what you guys think.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

2008 Vanessa Jaye | All Rights Reserved | Design by Katrina Glover | Back to top

You are visitor number:

web stats