Progress report

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Good news and bad news.

Good news: Writing on the Quickpad during the commute into work and on my lunch, is working out pretty good. I've averaged 2 raw/unedited pages per day. The first day, I was able to edit/flesh out stuff and gained another page. Two pages doesn't sound like a lot, but if I keep this up, I'd realistically finish an unedited single title length ms in 6 months (avg 30 days per month x 2 = 60 pages x 6 months = 360 pages).

2 books a year is not bad. Of course there's all types of contingencies I'm not taking into account here, but for the most part doable. Also, until I started this new schedule, I'd only written about 20 pages of new stuff on The Lost in a 4-6 month period. Since I started BICHOKing I've written 8 pages in 3 days.

Bad news: This morning I was mulling over the scene I wanted to write. I can't write it. Not only that, most of those 8 pages have to be cut. lol. I was getting into a situation where consistency of wordbuilding was going to be a problem. If the rules I've laid down for the world in which the story exists are to remain inviolate, and I don't want to resort to a ex dues machina later on, then I have to then I have to change stuff now.

More good news: After some thinking, I came up with a solution that will bring another important character on the scene a lot sooner and get a subplot rolling. I'm actually happy with this new turn. :-) And who knows, maybe that's why my output wasn't all that impressive, I was taking the story down the wrong road.

I'll check in later.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

6 comments:

vanessa jaye said...

Yay!! Chapter 3 is finally done. All left over tweaks done, and revisions for the new direction completed. *phew* And, I realized that most of the stuff I have in chapter four can be kept with minor revisions. :-)

Amie Stuart said...

Yeah!!!!!!! (but sometimes you make my brain hurt chica)

vanessa jaye said...

LOL. If you think I make your brain hurt, you should checkout Dee's posts on writing. I need to lay down after I read one of her 'explanations'. *gg*

Amie Stuart said...

note to self: avoid dee's blog

hehe

vanessa jaye said...

Are ya sure you want to do that? Last I heard she was working on a theory that compared astrophysics and emotional arcs. ::snicker:

vanessa jaye said...

WARNING: LONG RAMBLING STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS THINKING OUT LOUD POST FOLLOWS.

Sooo.... I'm not finished with chapter 3 after all. First I was thinking about a map. There's a reason why alot of those fantasy stories have maps. I might need one. Secondly I was thinking that the chapter is missing something. Maybe a little more introspection, but I can't pin-point exactly where and I don't want to get caught up on that. But I think I really do need to insert the H's pov, so far this story has been all in the h's pov, I plan to have the H's pov in the next chapter, but I think it needs to be in this one to up the romance/tension. And that's what's needed at this point, I've kept a light hand with it, but it needs to be revved up a bit. Probably a paragraph or two should do it. No more than a page of introspection. Then switch back to the heroine's pov. And I know just where to insert it, so it heightens the byplay of dialogue with the heroine and heightens the sexual tension that comes later and leads to their first kiss.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

2008 Vanessa Jaye | All Rights Reserved | Design by Katrina Glover | Back to top

You are visitor number:

web stats