Ssshhh!

Saturday, April 23, 2005

I'm working on my synopsis/outline. ::grin:: The pieces were really falling into place this last week, then last night ds and I had a conversation. (It was a real Hallmark moment. Get out the tissue, folks)--

ds: "blah,blah,blah Sin City, blah blah...."

me: *Thinking about a secondary character in my book, who for some reason is niggling at me* "Yeah, I agree. But why isn't Marv on any of the SIN CITY posters?" *Hmmm, what's this character's story? Why is this bugging me?

(meanwhile) ds: "blah, blah, blah, favorite movie of the year, blah, blah, blah..."

me: "Well it's still early in the year. I'd say SIN CITY will probably be one of my favourites this year." Externally: I go on to list several other upcoming movies I'm looking forward to. Internally: *Hmmm, I want to play this character up as a possible suspect, but what would make the reader believe s/he is Odil's antogonist? Hmmmmm....*

(meanwhile) ds: "blah,blah,blah, not saying Star Wars Episode III is going to sux, blah,blah,blah, Palpatine, blah,blah, blah, manipulative, blah, blah, blah...."

Siesmic shift in brain cells. Remembering earlier 'blah,blah,blah' conversation about Un-Buh-leee-vable hook-up between two stars, cross referencing to another 'blah,blah, blah' conversation re body of work of a particular director/writer. me: "Uh-huh."

ds: "blah, blah, blah..."

New neural pathways established, trigger word: manipulation. Flash image of one half of star couple in a major role in director's most successful movie to date, and...

ds' eyebrows rise, expectantly waiting for my response to his last 'blah'.

...Rush of blood to the head. Heart skips several beats. I Am A Freakin Genius! me: "Oh my god!" Staring wild eyed into space. I jump to my feet (oops, should have mentioned conversation was taking place while seated.) I know who the character iiiiiissssss! And it's a freakin 'hook', to boot! (chortling like a lunatic freakin genius writer.)

ds: (sounding scared) also jumps to feet. "'Oh my god', what?! What's wrong?" Grabs onto my arm.

me: (shaking with excitement.) "Nothing." (now trying to shake him off.)

ds: "No. Tell me."

I clue in that he really is concerned. So I completely exit the *Having blah,blah,blah Conversation With DS Zone.TM*--which allows me to simultaneously carry on conversation with him, whilst thinking about something else far more interesting-- and tell him the twist (that was there all along in this hodge-podge of a plot, but then I abandoned it because it didn't seem to fit, but now I see that it fits perfectly, and this is why I need to let things stew and bubble, and think long and hard about my characters and stories before I start writing because I Am A Freakin Genius!!!®)

ds is relieved that my: 'Oh my god!', didn't signify anything horrific, (besides the very real danger of a 'Freakin Genius!®' inspired aneurysm), and he thinks the idea is cool. awwwww.

So ends another touching family moment in the Jaye household. It's a beautiful thing.

Remember folks, you can't spell 'bonding', without the 'B' as in blah,blah,blah.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

Amie Stuart said...

So glad I'm not the only one who does the blah blah blah
=)

vanessa jaye said...

I think all mothers (& wives) master the art of having the blahblahblah conversation with their sons/hubbies. lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

2008 Vanessa Jaye | All Rights Reserved | Design by Katrina Glover | Back to top

You are visitor number:

web stats