A Good Cause

Sunday, November 18, 2007

My good friend and writing buddy Chaoscat aka Cat Brown, Owner/Moderator of the review site Romance Junkies, sent an email out recently.

I asked if I could post it on my blog and she said sure. So here it is, I think it's a fantastic thing her hubby and coworkers are doing for their town. For more info, you can contact Cat at chaoscat @ romance junkies .com (without the spaces)


Howdy,

I am trying to help out Todd by posting this in hopes of getting some toy donations for the Superior Fire Dept. :-)

We live in a small mining town, population three thousand. My husband who helps me with all things RJ is a full time fireman on the dept here. It's a low income town and there are a lot of kids here that don't get much for Christmas.

So the fire department started going around to businesses begging for donations of small toys. They spend days wrapping up the toys and weeks decorating one of the fire trucks with hundreds of holiday lights. And then on Christmas Eve Santa and Ms. Claus rides in back of the fire truck and with Christmas music blaring the fire truck weaves its way up and down every street in town. The sirens blare every few minutes and as kids hear it they scramble out of their houses. The truck stops and Santa gives each kid a toy.



They have been doing this now for four years. Last year I went with Todd. We drove all around town and it took us seven hours. When we pulled up to the last house it was midnight but it didn't matter there were two little kids standing in front of their house in their robes waiting anxiously ;-)

Every year they are short about a hundred toys. The last group of kids usually only get candy canes.

This year we are giving it our best to round up enough toys to give out to all the kids in town. ;-) So that’s why I am sending this out ;-)

What the dept is looking for are small stuffed animals or 1-2 dollar toys. It doesn't take alot to make it a magical night for the kids in town. ;-)

If anyone is interested in sending in some toys it would be VERY MUCH appreciated by both the fire department and the kids in town ;-)

You can send anything into:

Superior Fire Department

C/O Todd Pryor

734 Main Street

Superior , AZ 85273


Please feel free to pass this email on ;-)

I told Todd I was going to try a grass root movement thru RJ to see I could get the Department those extra toys they need this year. ;-)

**ps (added from second follow up email): someone just suggested that they could send in target or walmart gift cards to the dept and they can use that to buy toys..duh..never thought of gift cards..


Cat Brown AKA Chaoscat
(Chaos - It's not just a lifestyle, it's a state of mind)
Owner/Operator Romance Junkies
http://www.romancejunkies.com
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

Amie Stuart said...

Funny enough we're doing what we're thankful for on one of my loops this week so I'm going to pass this on!

vanessa jaye said...

Thanks, Amie. Much appreciated.

btw, I got your email, I'm just a little overwhelmed right now with my inbox and trying to answer several per day. But I'll get over to SFC soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

2008 Vanessa Jaye | All Rights Reserved | Design by Katrina Glover | Back to top

You are visitor number:

web stats